Google was founded by Larry Page and Sergey Brin while they were Ph.D. students at Stanford University, and was formally incorporated as a privately held company on September 4, 1998. Here we are telling you some interesting facts about Google:-
- 1. Go to Google homepage and type the words “I want to commit suicide”. Above all the search results, Google provides the Suicide Helpline number of your country.
- Google has a pet T-rex, named Stan, which lives at their California headquarters. Founders bought it to remind the employees to not let Google go extinct.
- Search “atari breakout” in Google Images and you can play the game. Try it now.
- Type any number in the search bar and Google will spell it out for you.
- Google HQ rents goats from California Grazing to mow their lawns and fields. The employees think that it’s a lot cuter to watch goats do the mowing than lawn mowers. Mowing with Goats.
6. Google has an index with more than 3 billion websites. When this index would be printed, you’d get a 130 miles high stack of paper. Google searches through all these websites in less than half a second.
7. Google offers its search engine in many languages, Google is used around the world. Google translate is also available in all these 80 languages. The last nine languages that have been added are Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba, Somali, Zulu, Mongolian, Nepali, Punjabi, and Maori.
8. Google uses foo.bar to recruit new staff. If a programmer of, for example, ‘Python’ looks up a programming term, Google may invite this person to apply.
9.Google is the internet’s most visited website according to Alexa.
10. Over 1 billion search requests per day are handled by Google. It is done by using over 1 million computers.
11. Google operates 70 offices in more than 40 countries.
12. 99% of Google profit comes from its advertising.
13. Did you know that Google has the ability to analyze and track a person’s online behavior and Google inform its advertisers the sites they visited and the ads they clicked?
14. Google has acquired around 127 companies in 12 years.
15. Google is used by 57% of american kids as their first word.
16. ”Don’t be evil” is the unofficial slogan of Google.
17. Brin and page considered calling Google as “What Box”. But they dropped the idea as it sounds like “wet box”, which sounded like some kind of porn.
18. Google site traffic is doubled when Google introduced its “Did you mean?”.
19. Google pays Mozilla Millions of dollars a year as Firefox web browser uses Google as the default search provider.
20. Presently 50,000 are working for Google, and the new employees are called “Nooglers”.
21. Google launched its first homepage in 1998 with an exclamation mark like that of “Yahoo!” after a year of registering its domain name “google.com”.
22. Yahoo! declined Google’s offer for infusion of cash, and later in 2002, Yahoo! wanted to buy it for $3 billion, but this time, Google refused it.
23. Alphabet Inc. is the parent company of Google, which was founded in 2015 with the desire to separate its web services business from its other ambitious companies.
24. Google ranked No 1 place to work for six consecutive years from 2012 to 2017 (as well as in 2007 and 2008), meaning eight times in 11 years on the Fortune’s Best Companies to Work for since 2007 up until 2017.
25. Google’s first office space was a rented garage in Menlo Park, California.