History of 23 June
1902 – Germany, Austria-Hungary, and Italy renewed the Triple Alliance for a 12-year duration.
1904 – The first American motorboat race got underway on the Hudson River in New York.
1926 – The first lip reading tournament in America was held in Philadelphia, PA.
1931 – Wiley Post and Harold Gatty took off from New York on the first round-the-world flight in a single-engine plane.
1934 – Italy gained the right to colonize Albania after defeating the country.
1938 – The Civil Aeronautics Authority was established.
1938 – Marineland opened near St. Augustine, Florida.
1947 – The U.S. Senate joined the House in overriding President Truman’s veto of the Taft-Hartley Act.
1951 – Soviet U.N. delegate Jacob Malik proposed cease-fire discussions in the Korean War.
1952 – The U.S. Air Force bombed power plants on Yalu River, Korea.
1956 – Gamal Abdel Nasser was elected president of Egypt.
1964 – Henry Cabot Lodge resigned as the U.S. envoy to Vietnam and was succeeded by Maxwell Taylor.
1966 – Civil Rights marchers in Mississippi were dispersed by tear gas.
1972 – U.S. President Nixon and White House chief of staff H.R. Haldeman discussed a plan to use the CIA to obstruct the FBI’s Watergate investigation.
2003 – Apple Computer Inc. unveiled the new Power Mac desktop computer.
2004 – The U.S. proposed that North Korea agree to a series of nuclear disarmament measures over a three-month period in exchange for economic benefits.
2005 – Roger Ebert received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
2013 – In Arizona, aerialist Nik Wallenda completed a quarter mile tightrope walk over the Little Colorado River Gorge.
2015 – NASA’s Mars Odyssey completed its 60,000th orbit around Mars. The spacecraft entered orbit on October 23, 2001.
2015 – Verizon announced it had completed its $4.4 billion purchase of AOL, Inc.
2016 – The United Kingdom votes in a referendum to leave the European Union, by 52% to 48%.
2017 – A series of terrorist attacks took place in Pakistan resulting in 96 deaths and wounded 200 others.
Celebrating Birthday Today
- 1981 – Antony Costa, English singer-songwriter
- 1981 – Rolf Wacha, German rugby player
- 1982 – Derek Boogaard, Canadian-American ice hockey player (d. 2011)
- 1983 – Brooks Laich, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1983 – José Manuel Rojas, Chilean footballer
- 1984 – Duffy, Welsh singer-songwriter and actress
- 1984 – Takeshi Matsuda, Japanese swimmer
- 1984 – Levern Spencer, Saint Lucian high jumper
- 1985 – Marcel Reece, American football player
- 1986 – Christy Altomare, American actress, and singer-songwriter
- 1987 – Alessia Filippi, Italian swimmer
- 1988 – Chet Faker, Australian singer-songwriter
- 1988 – Chellsie Memmel, American gymnast
- 1989 – Jordan Nolan, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1990 – Clevis Diamond, French footballer
- 1990 – Vasek Pospisil, a Canadian tennis player
- 1990 – Laura Ràfols, Spanish footballer
- 1991 – Katie Armiger, American singer-songwriter and guitarist
- 1992 – Luiza Galiulina, Uzbekistani gymnast
- 1992 – Nampalys Mendy, French footballer
- 1993 – Tim Anderson, American baseball player
- 1993 – Marvin Grumann, German footballer
- 2004 – Alexandra Trusova, Russian figure skater