- 1276 Pierre de Tarantaise elected Pope Innocence V
- 1287 The treaty of San Agayz is signed. Minorca is conquered by King Alfons III of Aragon.
- 1324 Zen Buddhist religious debate between Tendai & Shingon
- 1522 Head inquisitor Adrian Florisz Boeyens elected pope
- 1525 The Swiss Anabaptist Movement is born when Conrad Grebel, Felix Manz, George Blaurock, and a dozen others baptize each other in the home of Manz’s mother in Zürich, breaking a thousand-year tradition of church-state union
- 1542 English Parliament passes the bill of attainder against Queen Katherine Howard
- 1664 Count Miklos of Zrinyi sets out to battle Turkish invasion army
- 1677 1st medical publication in America (pamphlet on smallpox), published in Boston
- 1732 Russia & Persia sign Treaty of Riascha
- 1749 Verona Philharmonic Theatre destroyed by fire. Rebuilt 1754.
- 1789 1st American novel, WH Brown’s “Power of Sympathy” is published
- 1793 Louis XVI of France is executed by the guillotine in Paris, following his conviction for high treason
- 1952 Jawaharlal Nehru’s Congress party wins the general election in India
- 1968 The Battle of Khe Sanh – one of the most publicized and controversial battles of the Vietnam War – begins at the Khe Sanh Air Base
- 2008 Black Monday in worldwide stock markets. FTSE 100 had its biggest ever one-day points fall, European stocks closed with their worst result since 9/11, and Asian stocks drop as much as 15%.
- 2010 Toyota recalls 2.3 million cars in the U.S.
- 2010 Hillary Clinton asks China to investigate the cyber attacks on Google
- 2011 South Korean Navy Rescues Hijacked Crew
- 2012 Dutch Teenager Sails Around the World
Celebrating Birthday’s Today